Service Selection Board (SSB)
Service Selection Board (SSB) is an origination which is set up by the ministry of defence in India. Service selection board is the body that conduct the interview of the candidate who applying for Indian Army, Navy & Air Force. The board evaluates the suitability of the candidate for becoming an officer using a standardized protocol of evaluation system which constitute of personality intelligence test and interviews. The SSB interview is five days long procedure which includes two stages. SSB interview also include intelligence & personality test. The all procedure will be organized at SSB board.
2 Stage Of SSB :
Stage 1: This stage consists of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests and Picture Perception & Description Test (PPDT). Stage 1 is a screening test. The Candidates will be shortlisted on the performance of combined performance in OIR Test and PP & DT.
Stage 2: This stage is conducted for four days. Stage II consists of Psychology Tests, Group Testing Officer (GTO), Interview & Conference.
Five Days SSB Selection Procedure
DAY 0/1 (REPORTING):
On this day, candidates have to report to the selection center. Candidate’s original documents along with photocopies will be verified. After the documents verification some time conduct screening test at same day.
Day 1 (Screening Test):
On the next day or First day, it is the Stage 1. Candidates have to give an Intelligence Test (Verbal & Non-Verbal) & Picture Perception Test. In PP test, slide (hazy or clear) is shown for 30 seconds & candidates have to write the story. After finishing this test, the group discussion round are conducted. This sequence is commonly known as Picture Perception and Discussion Test (PPDT).
Service Selection Board Day 2 (Psychology Test):
It is a set written tests, organized by a Psychologist. In these tests, candidate’s psychological suitability will be checked to be an officer. These tests include:
- Thematic Apperception Test (TAT): It is called as Picture Story writing. This test is very similar to PPDT. In this test, about 11 pictures will be shown. Each picture will be displayed just for 30 seconds after that candidates have to write a story based on the picture within 4 minutes. After 4 minutes another picture will be displayed and the same procedure will be followed till the last slide. The twelfth slide will be blank where a candidate is supposed to write any story of their own choice.
- Word Association Test (WAT): It is the second psychological test of SSB selection procedure. In this test, 60 words will be shown back to back for a period of 50 seconds. Candidates have to write the first thought that comes to their mind for those words.
- Situation Reaction Test (SRT): In this test, candidates will get a booklet with 60 situations written on it. Candidates have to write their responses based on those 60 situations.
- Self-Description Test (SD): In this test, candidates have to write their opinion about their parents, themselves, friends, teachers & others. The time will be allotted 15 minutes.
Service Selection Board Day 3 & Day 4 – Group Testing Officer Tasks (GTO):
These Tests are interactive indoor and outdoor activities as a combination of mental and physical work. These tests are as follows:
- Group Discussion: In this round, a certain situation or topic (mostly current affairs) is given to a group of candidates. They are expected to discuss the various aspects of the issue. Group Task Officer observes each candidate during the course of the group discussion.
- Group Planning Exercise (Military Planning Exercise): This is a group and individual task by nature. In this a real life problem is narrated on the sheet and 2-3 problem related to that is given. The GTO explain a sketch for which Narrate paper written materiel given to each candidates. After explation from GTO every individual have to write down his or her plan of action
- Progressive Group Tasks (PGT): This is third test in GTO test series. Which held outdoors in which total 4 obstacles have to cross. Group has total 40 minutes to perform this task. As group moves further from one obstacles to other obstacles that becomes difficult as they are spread on the ground by their length. It has starting and finishing line. For this task you have some rules like which material and structure is touchable or not touchable is explained by GTO. Its perform in multiple levels.
- Half Group Tasks: This round is same as PGT but the numbers of group members will half. Candidates get more chance to show their potential.
- Individual Obstacles: In this round, candidates are required to attempt 10 obstacles individually Time is concern of this race. Every group has to perform these obstacles at same time.
- Group Obstacles Race or Snake Race: In this round, all group members will compete to the other groups. Candidates are required to cross certain obstacles with the snake-like rope.Time is concern of this race. Every group has to perform these obstacles at same time.
- Command Task: In this task, an aspirant will be a commander. He will be required to cross some obstacles with the help of 3 subordinates.Total allowed time is 10-15 minutes.
- Lecturette: Lecturette is of duration for 6 min for every individual. First three minutes for preparation and next 3 minutes for delivering it. It is conducted outdoor where candidates are sitting in 3-4 rows and goes one by one to pick his card, prepare the lecturette and deliver it. First of all the candidates goes to GTO where he or she chooses one card. On these cards there are four topics are written. Candidates have to choose one and prepare the same. To make speaker updated about time GTO bells two times. First he bell for warning that him or her has 30 seconds left to conclude lecturette. After 3 minutes two continues bell is made to indicate time up.
- Final Group Task: It is same as PGT. Candidates have another chance to show their potential.
On the same day, the candidate’s interview will be conducted. It involves a personal conversation with an Interviewing Officers.
Day 5 (Confrence):
On the final day, candidates & all the SSB board member sit together and ask a few general questions to the candidate. The conference is just to decide whether you recommend as an officer in Indian armed forces or not. Candidates are required to come before the complete Board of Examiners, which is consisted of President, Vice President, all the GTOs, all the psychologists and Technical Officer.Within an hour, the result will be declared after completion of the board meeting. Selected candidates undergo for medical test for further 3 or 5 days. After qualifying candidate’s medical test, the final merit list will be announced.
Facilities For Candidates By SSB (Service Selection Board)
Travel allowance, Pick-up and Drop from reporting Railway Station, Furnished accommodation, Messing, Medical facilities, Sports facilities, Magazines and Newspapers& all other facilities for candidates to ensure that they feel at home.