Judge Advocate General (JAG) Entry
JAG or Judge Advocate General is a post held by a major general who is the legal and judicial chief of the Indian Army. The Indian Army has an individual JAG branch which includes legally qualified army officers. These officers can be commissioned directly into the JAG branch or sidestepped from other branches like arms or corps. JAG officers are responsible for providing legal help to the military in all aspects. To become a JAG officer, JAG Entry is designed for all candidates. It is a special entry for both male and female law graduates. There is no written exam for this entry. Shortlisted candidates will directly face the SSB interview.
Eligibility Criteria For JAG Entry
- Candidates must be an Indian.
- Candidates must be aged between 21 to 27 years.
- Candidates should have minimum 55% aggregate makes in LLB Degree. Additionally, they should be eligible for registration along with Bar Council of India/State. They should be law graduate from a college/university recognized by Bar Council of India.
Method Of Selection For JAG Entry
- Shortlisting of candidates will be done by Recruiting Directorate and Integrated HQ of MoD. The final decision will be taken by DG Recruiting. Details of shortlisted candidates will be available on the official website of Indian Army – www.joinindianarmy.nic.in.
- Shortlisted candidates will face the SSB Interview directly at allotted selection centers in specific dates.
- There will be two stages of selection procedure based on Psychological Aptitude Test, held at Selection Centres. All the shortlisted candidates will face stage 1 (screening) test on the first day of reporting at Selection Centres. Stage 2 (psychology, GTO and personal interview) will invite only selected candidates.
- Candidates who qualify the stage two will submit the attested photocopy of educational documents to Selection Centre for verification.
- Candidates who qualify SSB interview will go for the medical examination by a Medical Board. The final selection will be based on the number of vacancies available at that time.
Training Of JAG Entry
- Selected candidates will be detailed for training at Officers’ Training Academy (OTA), Chennai according to their position in the final order of merit, up to the number of vacancies available at the time.
- Duration of training – 49 weeks at OTA, Chennai. On successful completion of which candidates will be granted commission in the rank of Lt. No ante date seniority will be granted.
- Training at OTA, Chennai is at Govt. expense All candidates who successfully complete Pre-Commission training at OTA, Chennai will be awarded “ Post Graduate Diploma in Defence Management and Strategic Studies” by University of Madras.
Pay And Allowances
All GCs/LCs will be given a stipend. On completion of training they will be commissioned in the rank of Lt and entitled to pay as admissible to the rank. Army also provides free Medical Facilities for self & dependents, Canteen facilities, Entitled Ration, Mess,Sports Facilities, Furnished Govt. Accommodation, Car,Housing Loan at subsidized rate.
Documents For JAG Entry
Documents to be carried to the SSB Selection Centre by the candidate duly self attested:-
- One copy of the Print out of application form duly signed and self attested photograph affixed.
- Copy of Matriculation or equivalent certificate for proof of age.
- Copy of 12th Class Certificate & Mark sheet.
- Copy of Graduation Degree/Provisional Degree (in case of three years LLB after graduation).
- Copy of LLB Degree/Provisional Degree.
- Copy of Marks sheets of all years/Semesters.
- Copy of registration with Bar Council of India/State or Certificate from college/University that the LLB Course in the said institution is recognized by Bar Council of India.
- All above mentioned certificates are required in original. Originals will be returned after verification at the Service Selection Board itself. Any candidate who does not carry the above documents for the SSB interview, his candidature will be cancelled.