What Is National Defence Academy
The full form of NDA is National Defence Academy and the National Defence Academy is the joint services academy of the Indian Armed Forces. Here, all the three services of India (Army, Navy and Air force) get training together. After the basic and mandatory training in National Defence Academy they go to their respective service academies for pre-commissioning training. The National defense Academy is located in Khadakwasla near Pune, Maharashtra and NDA is the first tri-service academy in the world.
Pre Commissioning training Academies For NDA Cadets.
- For Indian Army – Indian Military Academy
- For Indian Navy – Indian Naval Academy
- For Indian Air Force – Indian Air Force Academy, Hyderabad
15 Amazing Things About NDA.
- Full form Of NDA is National Defence Academy.
- NDA is the first military academy in the world that trains officers for the Army, Navy and Air Force.
- The Sudan Block now is an iconic symbol of this Tri-Services Academy. The naming of Sudan Block was constructed from the fund donated by Sudan to establish National Defence Academy and its infrastructure. It was given in recognition of the sacrifices of Indian troops in the defence of Sudan during World War 2.
- The academy is situated in Khadagwasla near Pune because it has lakes, hilly areas and operational airbase for the training the young cadets.
- The first batch of 190 cadets started their training at NDA on 11 January 1949.
- The aim of establishing National Defence Academy was to check whether the candidates from diverse areas come and join the forces.
- A common dress “Khaki” has been made compulsory at NDA to keep the sense of equality among the cadets & prevail an atmosphere of homogeneity and unity.
- The initial logo of NDA consisted of a sword, a quill pen, an anchor and an eagle, symbolising the four fields in which the Cadets received education at the National War Academy. The present logo was selected in 1948.
- Lt. Col Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore, India’s first individual Olympics medal winner, is a proud alumnus of the NDA’s 77th Course. He had won Silver in shooting in the Olympics 2004 held at Athens.
- The First Course started with a batch of 190 cadets in 11 January 1949, The Passing-out-Parade for 172 cadets was held on 8 December 1950.
- The motto of NDA was changed from “Service Before Self” to “Seva Parmo Dharma” in 1951.
- Before its inception as National Defence Academy on 16th January, 1955, it first started its operation on 1st January 1949 as Joint Services Wing at the Indian Military Academy (then known as Armed Forces Academy) in Dehradun. This shifting is known as ‘Operation Badli’.
- NDA has produced 27 service Chiefs Of Staff till date. Current Chiefs Of Staff of the Army, the Navy and the Air Force are all NDA alumni.
- There are 18 squadrons in the NDA divided into five battalions.
- More than 28 countries cadets train alongside their Indian counterparts at the NDA.
20 Facts about Indian Military academy (IMA) :- Click Here